Medical Assistance Program
Rutherford Regional Medical Center provides free or discounted emergency and other medically necessary care to patients who do not have insurance and who qualify for assistance under its Financial Assistance Policy. Certain exclusions apply, including, for example, elective services, balances covered by other funding sources, and failure to cooperate in securing alternative funding sources.
This document is only a summary. Please refer to the Financial Assistance Policy for complete details.
Eligibility Requirements and Assistance Offered Under the Financial Assistance Policy
Patients who qualify for assistance are eligible for income-based, sliding scale discounts for emergency and other medically necessary care. In general:
- Uninsured patients whose family income is equal to or less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines are generally eligible for free emergency and medically necessary care.
- Uninsured patients whose family income is between 200% and 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines generally receive a sliding scale discount ranging from 100% to 60% for emergency and other medically necessary care.
A patient who qualifies for assistance under the Financial Assistance Policy will not be charged more for emergency or medically necessary care than amounts generally billed to patients having insurance covering such care.
How to Obtain Copies of the Financial Assistance Policy and Financial Assistance Application
Copies of the Financial Assistance Policy, this plain language summary, and the Financial Assistance Application and associated instructions are available free of charge upon request by writing to Patient Financial Services at 288 S Ridgecrest Avenue Rutherfordton NC 28139. Copies can also be found in the emergency room and admission areas of the hospital. These documents may be found online at www.myrutherfordregional.com. Translations of these documents to Spanish are available upon request from Patient Financial Services and also may be found online at www.myrutherfordregional.com.
Further information about the Financial Assistance Policy and assistance with the application process are available from a Financial Counselor via phone at 828-286-5544 or in person at Rutherford Regional Medical Center, 288 S Ridgecrest Avenue, Rutherfordton NC 28139.
How to Apply for Assistance Under the Financial Assistance Policy
To apply for financial assistance, please submit a complete Financial Assistance Application with supporting documents to Rutherford Regional Medical Center – Financial Counselor at 288 S Ridgecrest Avenue, Rutherfordton NC 28139.
Patients & Visitors
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Joint Notice of Privacy Practices
- Food and Nutrition Services
- Medical Assistance Program
- Mission, Vision and High Five
- Preparing for Your Visit
- While You're Here
- After Discharge
- Visitors FAQ
- Visiting Hours and Guidelines
- Gift Shop
- Cafeterias and Vending Machines
- Patient Financial Information
- Community Health Needs Assessment
- Non-English Speaking Patients
- Non-Discrimination Notice
- Sponsorship Request