Rutherford Regional Health System – At a Glance
Founded in 1906 by Drs. Henry Norris and Montgomery H. Biggs, as Rutherford Hospital, Inc. (RHI), Rutherford Regional Health System today is a not-for-profit hospital system governed by a local Board of Trustees licensed for 143 private acute care beds. Rutherford Regional is dedicated to providing patients with a full range of services to meet their healthcare needs.
RRHS has more than 120 qualified physicians and more than 23 medical specialties. Rutherford Regional has experienced expansions since 1911, including
- 1995 expansion of the Outpatient and Surgery Center
- 2002 expansion of The Birth Place and Intensive Care Unit
- 2006 OneSource Healthcare (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and industrial rehab programs) moved to a larger location
- 2008 expansion of the Cancer Resource Center
- 2008 remodel of the Surgery Medical floor which has larger patient rooms
- 2010 expansion of Rutherford Orthopaedics. Doubled the size of the facility providing twice an many treatment areas and all new digital x-ray equipment.
- 2011 acquisition of Boiling Springs Family Care in Boiling Springs, NC
- 2011 moved location and changed name of England & Godfrey Family Practice: Now called Forest City Family Care, 212 Allendale Drive, Forest City, NC
- 2011 Opened Rutherford Children's Care, a new Pediatrics practice attending to patients in the Outpatient Department of Rutherford Regional Medical Center
- 2011 Opened The Clinic at Walmart Operated by Rutherford Regional Health System, 197 Plaza Drive, Forest City, NC
- 2011-2012 remodel of ground floor
- 2012 Opened Rutherford Wound Care & Hyperbarics, 112 Sparks Drive, Forest City
- 2012 Rutherford Children's Care moved to its permanent location in a newly renovated building at 162 Commercial Drive, Forest City, NC
- 2013 Opened Rutherford Urology, a new urology practice attending to patients in the Outpatient Department of Rutherford Regional Medical Center
- 2014, June 1: On June 1, 2014, the Rutherford Regional Health System Board of Trustees and Duke LifePoint Healthcare finalized the transaction to jointly own and operate Rutherford Regional Health System (RRHS). The newly formed joint venture strengthens RRHS for the future and gives the system new resources to enhance the health care services offered in Rutherford, Polk and Cleveland Counties.
What it means to be a part of Duke LifePoint Healthcare – Quality. Expertise. Commitment.
Rutherford Regional Health System’s partnership with Duke LifePoint Healthcare is bringing the pieces together to transform healthcare in Rutherford County. Quality: It’s improving the health of our community in our community. Expertise: it’s recruiting and keeping top physicians and new specialists. Commitment: it’s financial strength and capital investment. As a member of Duke LifePoint Healthcare, our regional health system will be supported with more resources than ever before. Together we are finding ways to build healthier communities and transform healthcare.
Rutherford Regional Health System is a network of operating affiliates located in Rutherfordton, Spindale, Forest City, Mooresboro, and Caroleen, North Carolina. We’ve been honored four times as a Thompson Company 100 Top Performance Improvement Leader facility. We’re pleased to be recognized as one of only 100 in the United States; and actually only two in the Carolinas to be honored with this distinction. What this means to our community is high value and excellent quality care delivered by our organization. We are also proud to be recognized as one of America's Top 20 Community Hospitals by Becker's Hospital Review.
The activities of the principal entities comprising the organization are summarized as follows:
- Rutherford Regional Medical Center – is a 143-bed acute care hospital providing inpatient, outpatient and emergency services primarily to the residents of Rutherford County, North Carolina.
- Physician Practices – is comprised of six physician practices specializing in family medicine, pediatrics, general surgery, and orthopedic surgery.
- Rutherford Regional Auxiliary – is comprised of volunteers who support all areas of RRHS. The group also raises funds to assist health and wellness initiatives within our community. The Auxiliary carries out this purpose by operating a gift shop within Rutherford Regional Medical Center and holding sales throughout the year.
Rutherford Regional Health System includes the following: Rutherford Regional Medical Center, Rutherford East Family Care, OneSource Rehab, Forest City Family Care, Walk-in Clinic at Forest City Family Care, Rutherford Children's Care, Rutherford Orthopaedics, Chase Family Care, Cancer Resource Center, The Mammography Place, and Rutherford Surgical Associates.